Recommended AI Apps
Writefull has been developed by a team of PhDs in AI and Linguistics to help boost your academic writing.
Its language feedback is more comprehensive and accurate than that of other tools, is tailored to research writing, and can be used in Word, Overleaf, and the browser.
Get 10% off with code “andystapleton”
Supercharge your academic writing with one of the most advanced AI writing assistants for researchers.
- AI autocomplete, the suggested text that comes out whenever you have writer’s block
- Citations, you can type the @ symbol in the document after any sentence and Jenni finds academic journals/websites for you to cite (citations are automatically done for you in whatever style you prefer MLA, APA, Harvard, etc).
- AskJenni, Jenni can do anything for you (highlight text and ask for a counterargument, ask Jenni for a concluding paragraph)
- Jenni Chat, on the right side you can open chat and directly ask any question you like to do research/generate ideas
20% off with code: ANDY20
Scite is working on verifying ChatGPT against the scholarly literature. In short, providing quality control for ChatGPT for research.
With their assistant you are able to:
- Ask simple questions and get reliable answers from the full-text of millions of research articles.
- Start a draft of an essay, grant, or paragraph
- Effectively use information from research articles to support your research tasks e.g “Find a source for the following sentence:”
I have reviewed this application in one of my YouTube videos.
I recommend this app for researchers who want to easily explore scientific papers. Litmaps helps you search for new scientific papers and connect them with an intuitive visualised map.
10% off Pro subscription using the code “STAPLETON”
I get more out of ChatGPT with HeyGPT. It can do things that ChatGPT cannot which makes it really valuable for researchers.
Use your own API key. No login required. Access ChatGPT anytime, including peak periods. Faster response time. Unlock advanced functionalities with HeyGPT Ultra.
My favourite features:
- Chat with PDFs
- Search Google with ChatGPT
- Search over many websites
- Many more things are being developed! (Check out the website)
Learning another language can be challenging! Especially if you are studying and researching in a second language.
I currently use Italki to learn Spanish and Farsi. The tutors are brilliant and it is a really affordable way to learn and practise a new language. I’ve found it better than any app or language exchange.
Improve the most important skill any researcher can have – communication!
Get $10 USD in italki Credits when you make first purchase
I often get emails asking for personalised PhD help. At the moment, I do not offer that service.
If you need help, I recommend reaching out to Beyond PhD Coaching who will be able to guide you with personal one-on-one coaching through your PhD.
This is what I think sets them apart:
-We’re very well qualified. All our coaches are veteran dissertation committee chairs.
-We give a TON of personalized, one-on-one support. For example, our Premium editing package offers unlimited edits until your committee accepts your dissertation, plus phone/zoom support.
-We guide students using insider knowledge — the coaches haven’t just been through programs themselves, they’ve also been on the other side as chairs and committee members for many years.
The team at Beyond PhD coaching is able to help you with dissertation coaching, dissertation editing, and academic career coaching.
Get 10% off services* and editing with the code: STAPLETON10
*almost $250 off for Premium editing of a full dissertation
I got a lot from this book and learned how getting one percent better every day helps build momentum.
Transform your life with tiny changes in behaviour, starting now.
There’s never been a better time to make a few tiny changes that will revolutionise your life.
A revolutionary system to get one per cent better every day.
Written by an academic this book showed me the importance of focus and attention for boosting your career.
Deep work is the ability to focus without distraction on a cognitively demanding task. It’s a skill that allows you to quickly master complicated information and produce better results in less time.
My go-to book for when things are overwhelming. Very actionable advice from experts that works!
The Power of Small will help you take the practical, approachable steps that will change your life, even if you feel completely stuck or defeated.